After reading the title two questions come in mind 1) what are antibiotics? 2) How antibiotics can be misused? The answer to 1st question is antibiotics are a group of medicines that are used to treat infections caused by bacteria and certain parasites. About 2nd question; yes it is harmful to overuse them!
Why it’s harmful to overuse them?
Taking antibiotics for simple cough and cold are not going to work because cold and cough are viral diseases so there overuse cause serious side effects i.e. generation of bacteria that are harder to kill. Inappropriate use will lead bacteria to become resistant. It is a serious threat to whole globe.
Antibiotics are one of the biggest achievements of medical sciences; millions of people are cured up till now. It is difficult to overstate the benefit penicillin and other antibiotics have played in treating infections, preventing the spread of diseases and minimizing serious complications. But frequent and improper use is causing resistance. According to WHO globally, 480 000 people develop multi-drug resistant TB each year and situation is worsening each passing day.
What causes antibiotic resistance?
Antibiotics resistance is a phenomenon in which bacteria modifies itself in such a way that it is no more effective in killing that bacteria.
- The overuse of antibiotics when they are not required for treatment e.g.
- In cold
- Sore throats
- Some ear infections
- Beside the antibiotic resistance awareness doctors are prescribing antibiotics before the proper test reports results.
- People wanted quick relief, so regardless of side effects they are misusing antibiotics.
- Self-medication itself is a serious discussion but keeping it precise it is one of the reasons of antibiotic resistance.
- Not completing the full antibiotic course.
How antibiotic resistance can be prevented?
The safe use of antibiotics is called stewardship. Some hospitals and diagnostic centers are implementing laws and rules for prescribing, plus public can helps a lot in preventing antibiotic resistance.
- Only use prescribed medicine and completes the therapy course.
- Don’t use leftover medicine.
- Avoid self-medication.
- Never pressurize physician for prescribing you antibiotics.
- Ask your pharmacist/physician about dose regimen if you miss a dose.
- Never use medicine prescribed to other patient.
- Never use antibiotic for viral infections like colds and flu.
- As it’s a famous saying, ‘prevention is better than cure’ so get vaccinated, adopt a healthy life style, and keep good hygiene.
If misuse of antibiotics couldn’t reduce, more people will dying in future from common disease then of cancer. So it’s everyone’s responsibility to play their parts to give a healthy future to upcoming generation! Stay safe and have a healthy one !Share