Cheap & Amazing gardening hacks!
Gardening is one amazing activity, both physically and mentally that helps you connect to nature on a much deeper level. Exposure to the sun and fresh air is linked to the release of positive hormones. There is something absolutely magical in planting a tiny seed or a sapling and then watching it grow bigger and bigger, bearing fruits, vegetables or flowers one day.
To those who’ve never given it a try, should definitely do so. As for the gardeners out there, this article will give you lots of helpful gardening tips and tricks, taken from various sources from the internet. Here they are:
- A soon as the garden vegetables turn ripe, remove them since they become an easy target for pests.
- Do not overwater your plants at all! In fact overwatering is worse than under watering because drying the drowned roots in much harder compared to reviving a dead plant.
- Grow plants such as onions, garlic, chives and chrysanthemums in your garden as they help repel insects.
- Mark the plant areas by self-made markers. Take some flat stones, paint them as you like and using a permanent marker write the names of plants. Place them near the base of your plants. This would be helpful if you are unable to identify the plants at a glance. Also if they haven’t yet sprouted, these plant markers will help you locate them easily. And of course they add a great look to your garden!
- The next time you boil or steam vegetables, do not waste that water like we normally do. Instead water your garden plants with it. It is a sort of ‘vegetable soup’ for your garden giving them lots of nutrients.
- There are certain plants that grow better if the water is delivered at their roots instead of from overhead. One easy way to make such a drip feeder is by using an old plastic bottle. Puncture some holes in it and plant it next to the plant. It will water the plant just near the roots.
- Make use of the eggshells too! Instead of throwing them down the garbage, spread them around the base of you plants. It will nourish the soil with calcium. Moreover, eggshells even repel certain insects, so they shall protect your plants from pests too! How awesome is that.
- If there are old tree stumps in your garden, give them a makeover and turn them into something beautiful. This page has several great ideas on how to prettify the tree stumps, either by using it as a natural flowerbed, growing moss on it, turning it into a base or pedestal for a table or planter or even using it to hold a birdbath. Or let your imagination go wild and come up with some other way to beautify that old tree stump taking space in your garden.
- One trick for growing roses is to use potatoes. Weird I know, but that actually works! Take cuttings of roses and stick those cuttings in potatoes, one cutting in each potato. And then push both into the ground. The potato keeps your cuttings moist while roots are developing. Refer to this page for details of this cool trick.
- Salt deposits normally gather up at the clay pots giving them an unappealing appearance. To remove these salt deposits, form a mixture by combining in equal parts white vinegar, rubbing alcohol and water. Spray this mixture to the pot and scrub with a plastic brush. Let the pot dry before you plant anything in it.
Happy gardening! 😀Share