Depression in youth
Depression in youth is increasing day by day. Our youth is our power bank; if the power bank is not functioning properly it affects each and every aspect of society. For having a healthy, successful, prosperous and efficacious environment our youth should be contented and satisfied.
What are the causes of depression?
Basically depression is associated with high levels of stress, anxiety, and in the worst possible scenarios, suicide. This can be caused due to
- unrealistic academic, social or family expectations.
- Social Anxiety or Peer Pressure.
- Early childhood trauma.
What are the symptoms of teen depression?
Teens with depression have notable change in their behavior.
A depressed person feel
- Loss of interest
- Social isolation
- Poor school performance
- lack of enthusiasm and energy
- Poor self-esteem or guilt and
- Irresponsible behavior
- Self-harm — for example, cutting, burning, or excessive piercing
- In severe cases suicidal thoughts or actions.
How we can prevent depression?
Depression can be treated by medication and psychotherapy. One needs to share his/her problems. A strong parent-child relationship can help prevent depression. Parents should encourage their child, praise his or her strengths, whether it’s in academics, relationships or other areas, plus, respond to child’s anger with calm reassurance.
Foods that help fight depression:
- According to a study, protein rich diet can help in defeating depression e.g. white meet, turkey etc.
- Antioxidants can also help in lowering the negative effects of free radicals e.g. brown rice, lean beef, sunflower seeds, and seafood.
- Foods containing beta carotene, e.g. pumpkin, carrot and spinach etc.
- A cup of coffee can help in managing stress, anxiety due to its content caffeine. Similarly chocolates can also be helpful. On the same side it may be harmful so don’t use to self-medicate.
- Leafy greens have potential for lowering your depression, so go green and be safe!
Positive peer experiences and strong friendships can help prevent depression.
Overthinking can be a cause of depression so one should try to keep him/herself busy in some physical and co-curricular activities.
Last but not the least is believe in yourself! Everything happen in life for a reason, all you need to show is a little patience.