Why Liquid Lipsticks have Serious GAME?
Let me start by formally writing this down that there is no such thing as “too many lipsticks”. Be it a traditional black bullet of MAC lipstick or Kylie’s liquid lipsticks, we need them all! Remember those days when hunting for the perfect lipstick meant browsing the kiosks’ at Agha’s or D.Watson with a friend or sister? Well the scenario has completely changed, Enters Sephora and Super Drug products in Pakistan *drum-roll please*.
The lipstick market has diversified and spun around 180 degrees with hundreds of international brands like YSL, Stila , SMASHBOX ,Inglot, HUDA beauty, Jeffree Star at our disposal right away. A big fat THANK YOU to all the Cosmetic pages on Facebook and Instagram doing the noble deed of diminishing the gap between makeup hoarders and tons of new stuff.
Last year many high end brands introduced a more “revolutionized” and “modern” version of lipstick, they called it a “liquid lipstick”. “Ease of a gloss and pigmentation of a lipstick!” chanted every brand under sky. All YouTube beauty bloggers were thrilled and the rest like us were curious. Soon after, YouTube was overtaken by this product, I still remember every beauty blogger swearing by it. What’s so special, after all? I Wondered.
I started noticing a huge number of price quotes being requested by masses on various social media makeup pages. People have gone gaga over an over-priced celebrity makeup item again! But to my amazement, even the drugstore brands followed! Brands like Revlon, NYX, Rimmel, Maybelline and Luscious Cosmetics started resurfacing with affordable and better formulas that started giving their higher end counterparts some serious competition!
Weeks later I decided to test out the hype and got my hands on two shades of the Rimmel Provocalips 16 HR lip color and boy was I impressed! I LOVED IT! Intense color payoff in one swipe, stays put all day, totally comfortable on the lips, no feathering or turning into a melted mess in higher temperatures, survives eating and drinking and perfectly matte! BAM! I did not expect such genius formulas from the drugstore but boy I was wrong.
I ordered a few more from the drugstore and higher end to test the formula and honestly I had my fair share of hits and misses. Some drugstore formulas were totally comparable to their higher counterparts, some were opaque on single swipe but feathered after some time while others didn’t dry matte at all and kept staining coffee cups.
The very concept of a liquid lipstick had me impressed and perplexed at the same time. Impressive because it delivered long wear and intense color payoff on every application and perplexed because there was no fixed definition of a liquid lipstick. Every brand came by their own names, lip lacquers, cream sheens, velvet mattes etc. There was no one definition that could be used as a standard to test all the other formulas available. Here is what I gathered from my experience.
- 5 GOLD stars on providing intense color to your lips. The color you see in the bottle is the color you get on your lips every time in one single swipe! Now how amazing is that!? They definitely are melted lipstick in a bottle. Jeffree Star liquid lipsticks tops the list.
- No need for reapplication or those frequent visits to the washroom to fix your lipstick. Most of the formulas out there ( the ones that specifically say all day wear, etc) do not budge for up to 8-9 hours straight. Stila All Day Liquid Lipstick and Rimmel Provocalips get you through the entire day.
- Since it is a melted lipstick in a bottle no need to toss them in the fridge during summers. Throw them in your handbag and you’re good to go. No spills and no melted mess.
- No need to wear a lip liner underneath. Kat Von D’s Everlasting liquid lipsticks fits this category perfectly.
- The design of the doe-foot applicator ensures easy application. The tapered brush helps you apply the liquid lipstick easily with precision especially in the cupid’s bow and the inner corners of the lips.
- Comes in Mini-versions or in value sets and gift packs during the holiday season. You can invest in either of these to try different shades and formulas at a lesser price tag. Log on to Sephora’s website to grab these goodie packs.
- The matte ones set under a minute and when it does it does not budge. Only a makeup remover can take it off!
- Big Claims – Some brands have jumped onto the melted lipstick bandwagon without perfecting their formulas unfortunately. Look out for such “Big Claims”. Always read blogger reviews before investing your money.
- EXPENSIVE! Higher price tag doesn’t mean superior formula. Watchout! These babies can burn a hole in your pocket hence do your homework before buying one.
- Fine Lines – Since most of the formulas out there claim to be absolutely matte hence they can settle into the fine lines and make your lips look parched. Always exfoliate your lips and moisturize them before applying your liquid lipstick.
- Uncomfortable on lips– The formulas can be unforgiving on your lips. Some products are dual ended, with liquid lipstick on one end and a clear balm on another. The balm can be applied on top of the lipstick whenever they feel dry.
- Some formulas like the Vivid mattes and Ultra HD’s do not dry matte at all. They will transfer throughout the day and re-application will be required.
- Some formulas stay put for up to 8 hours but can start to fade in the inner side of the lips and corners of the mouth. Some will start to bleed hence back them up with a lip liner underneath and a layer of concealer around the lips.
- Some are strongly scented which can be a downside for some people.
That was quite a post but let us know which products have worked for you .I would love to hear back from you!