It is good to keep your body weight maintained at a healthy level. We can say the process of monitoring intake and expenditure of calories to adjust body weight is known as weight management.
A steady weight depends on the balance diet which we get from food and the energy we use.
We use energy in three ways during the day
- Energy expanded during rest (BASAL METABOLISM)
About two-thirds of spent energy is accounted in basal metabolism, and this energy helps to keep the body temperature steady and the muscles of heart and intestine working.
- Energy used to break down food (THERMOGENESIS)
About 10% of spent energy is accounted in thermogenesis.
- Energy used during physical activity
Importance of weight management
Having a stable weight is good medically and physically. If someone is overweight or is obese or is underweight than will indeed face health problems. About two-thirds of grown-ups are overweight or obese. Eating too much or not being physically fit will make a person obese. To maintain weight one must have calories equal to the energy which will burn easily and to lose weight one must burn more calories than the intakes.
Weight Management Strategy
A weight management strategy might include:
- Choosing low-fat diet
- Eating in smaller portions
- Being physically active
- Using water instead of sugary drinks
Desirable Body Weight
A simple way to determine your desirable body weight is to use the following formula:
- Women: 100 pounds for the first 5 feet of height + 5 lbs for each additional inch.
- Men: 106 pounds of body weight for the first 5 feet of height + 6 lbs for each extra inch
- A small physique frame, 10% should be withdrawn.
- For a large frame, 10% should be more.
To determine if a person is under- or overweight body fat and body mass measurements are used. Body fat varies in both genders.
- The suggested body fat must be between 20 – 21%.
- The average American woman has approximately 22 – 25% body fat.
- A woman with 30% body fat is reflected obese.
- The recommended body fat must be between 13 – 17 percent.
- The normal American man owns almost 17 – 19% fat in body
- A guy with 25% fat in the body or higher is considered obese.
Body Mass Index
It is a method used to estimate the total amount of body fat.it is calculated by dividing the weight in kilograms by the height in meters square. It is not considered as the best method to estimate the body fat for people having eating disorders, or people with physical disability or extreme obesity.
It is a unit to measure energy. Food energy can also be measured regarding the nutritional or ‘large’ Calorie (Cal), which has the same energy value as 4.186 kilojoules (kJ). There are 1,000 small calories in one high Calorie, which is why it is also sometimes known as a ‘kilocalorie.’
4.184 kJ = 4,184 J = 1 Cal = 1 k(cal)= 1,000 calories
The kilojoule depends on the amount of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins present in the food. If we have more kilojoules than our body requires then the excess stored is known as body fat.
To preserve your weight, you need to use the following:
- Ten calories per pound of desirable body weight if one is very obese.
- 13 calories per pound of desirable body weight if someone’s activity level is low, or if more than 55
- 15 calories on each lb. of desirable weight if regularly done with moderate activity
- 18 calories per pound of desirable body weight if one regularly do strenuous activity
- Low movement:No strategic, consistent physical exercise. Occasional activity is the only type of physical activity which may also be performed once in a week.
- Moderate activity:Participating in physical activities such as swimming, jogging, or fast walking for 30 – 60 minutes.
- Strenuous activity:Participating in vigorous physical activity for 4- 5 days.
Maintain a balanced diet
- Avoid eating too much meat.
- Processed meats contain fewer fats so you can take them once in a week.
- Avoid fry food because your body absorbs the fats. The cooking oil boosts the dietary fat intake.
- Instead, bake or broil food. If you do fry, use polyunsaturated oils, such as corn oil.
- Use coconut or olive oil in your food.
- Limit the intake of salt.
- Include suitable fiber in your diet. Fiber is found in green leafy vegetables, fruit, beans, bran flakes, nuts, root vegetables, and whole-grain foods.
- Eggs are an excellent basis of protein, so it is nice to have a boiled egg for breakfast. Avoid having fry egg because they are rich in cholesterol.
- Only use fresh fruit for juices or desserts. Avoid using frozen or canned items. Do not add cake, pudding or cookies in your diet.
- Maintaining a well-balanced diet is essential.
- Excess of anything is bad so count the intake calories
For a quick observation follow the Eat Well Plate